Thursday, September 10, 2009

You're sooo Cynical

cyn⋅i⋅cal

[sin-i-kuhl]  –adjective
1.like or characteristic of a cynic; distrusting or disparaging the motives of others.
2.showing contempt for accepted standards of honesty or morality by one's actions, esp. by actions that exploit the scruples of others.
3.bitterly or sneeringly distrustful, contemptuous, or pessimistic.

Who me?

It's said often enough that I should probably just cop to it, but it somehow seems connected to my idealism.  With such high hopes, how could I not be distrusting, contemptuous, bitter and pessimistic?

The world is indeed an ugly place.  People are awful - truly.  But it's also amazingly beautiful and people can be transcendently good.  It's hard to bring all that together for me, and I guess I fall back on sarcasm.  It's a defense mechanism, but I think I continue to hope against all odds that I'll see more beauty and be open to the universe's many gifts (ack - I just gagged when I wrote that).


No comments:

Post a Comment