Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Vacation Blues

In Britain, they don't say they're on vacation; they say they're on "holiday."  They scorn the very notion of vacating - as if one had no brain.  Well... you know, they're Brits; they have standards.

This week, I'm on holiday.  And it's stressing me out.  I challenged myself to spend all day yesterday watching TV (well, after I cleaned out the kid's closets).  I watched about 5 episodes of Flipping Out on Bravo.  It wasn't too relaxing - maybe it would have been if I didn't watch a show about people stressing out at their work (!!!), but that didn't occur to me until after my marathon.

I find relaxing to be a challenge.  I'm not proud to admit that my daily routine (including the time spent at my work desk) is a comfort to me.  And this unstructured time hanging around the house is driving me a little batty.  My best unstructured time is carefully planned - haircut/massage/one or two errands/dinner.

But I know that it's important to get out of the work rut.  It helps invigorate the work.  But I don't exactly find it enjoyable.  This is why I think it's important to get out of town (which I did for a few days), but left at home, staring at the chores that I'm still avoiding and letting the kids spend too much time on the computer just makes me feel like a loser.

At work, I'm a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment